Search 283 stories and 49 dives.

The round church closing the head of Bowmore's Main Street, cars parked along the sloping road

Islay

Kilarrow Parish Church: Bowmore’s Round Church

July 2017

Kilarrow Parish Church, commonly known as the Round Church, stands at the head of Main Street in Bowmore. Construction began in 1767 under Daniel Campbell of Shawfield and Islay, who was developing Bowmore as a planned settlement. The church opened for worship in 1769 and became one of the settlement’s defining buildings.

The church has a complete circular plan measuring approximately 60 feet (18.3 m) across. Its conical roof is supported by a substantial central column connected to a radial roof structure. A U-shaped gallery was added around 1830 to increase seating capacity, and the interior was extensively altered around 1890.

Kilarrow Parish Church is protected as a Category A listed building and remains in ecclesiastical use. Its surrounding churchyard contains generations of parish memorials, including the grave of Bowmore-born minister Donald Caskie and several Commonwealth war graves.

The round church closing the head of Bowmore's Main Street, cars parked along the sloping road
Cracked slate headstone in the churchyard grass, its worn inscription reading "native of Ireland"
Weathered pale gravestone carved with doves, listing generations of the Jackson and Carmichael family
Lichen-spotted memorial "In loving memory of Marion McNiven", with houses beyond the churchyard wall

All Stories →

Fact check: Accuracy matters. If something looks incorrect, please suggest a correction.