Search 283 stories and 49 dives.

Low stone bridge arching over a narrow Utrecht canal, bicycles chained along both railings

Utrecht

Utrecht and the Oudegracht

July 2015

Utrecht developed around the Roman fort of Traiectum, established near present-day Domplein around AD 42 on the northern frontier of the Roman Empire. The site later became the center of an episcopal complex, establishing Utrecht as an important ecclesiastical center during the Middle Ages. The Dom Tower was begun in 1320, with its foundation stone laid in 1321, and completed in 1382. At 112.32 meters (368.5 feet), it remains the tallest church tower in the Netherlands.

The Oudegracht—“Old Canal”—was excavated during the 12th century and developed into a nearly two-kilometer harbor through the medieval city. After the Rhine was dammed at Wijk bij Duurstede in 1122 and regional flood control improved during the 13th century, merchants increasingly used the canal to transport and store goods.

Beginning in the late 12th century, tunnels were cut from the water-level quays into the storage cellars of the canal houses. These passages were gradually widened into vaulted wharf cellars. By about 1500, the wharves and cellars formed an extensive two-level harbor system along both sides of the Oudegracht, allowing cargo to be unloaded directly from boats and moved into storage beneath the streets.

Current Context

The Oudegracht’s canals, wharves and retaining walls are protected national monuments. Utrecht is undertaking a long-term restoration of the historic canal district. A new phase began in 2026, with work on the walls and nearly 1,000 wharf cellars planned to continue through 2050.

Low stone bridge arching over a narrow Utrecht canal, bicycles chained along both railings
Two kayakers paddling out from under a canal bridge as pedestrians pass overhead
Graffiti-covered door set into an arched brick wharf cellar wall, in black and white
Open boat carrying passengers along the canal beside a brick wharf wall, cinema sign reading "Bioscoop" above
Carved lamb with a banner on a red oval medallion above a weathered stone arch
Man in a straw hat drinking from a bottle in a small boat loaded with brass instruments and flowers
The decorated music boat drifting past a row of green wharf cellar doors
Canal seen between two tree trunks, cafe terrace on the far bank and a "Yoga Utrecht" sign at right
Corner house above brick wharf cellars where two canals meet, two people sitting at the water's edge
Empty brick-paved square with a graffiti-covered construction trailer and yellow kiosk
View down the Oudegracht from a bridge, wharf cellars and gabled houses lining both banks
Dom Tower rising over a busy shopping street, in black and white
Graffiti-tagged brick wall beside a camera-shop advertising board, steps leading down to the canal
Stone relief of three hatted figures, one holding an open box of small items, set into brickwork
Tiled wall plaque of a swan with spread wings, lettered "Sept. 1926"
Orange bicycle leaning against the black iron railing along a canal quay

All Stories →

Fact check: Accuracy matters. If something looks incorrect, please suggest a correction.